Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Blame it on the Sciatica when a writer disappears

When a writer disappears for a few days, it can be a number of things. You may find them wandering out in a field mumbling incoherently while looking for inspiration or sitting in a shower until the water turns icy cold pursuing the true definition of sensory adjectives. Or… you might find them moaning in pain either in a chair, on the bed, trying to get from the bed to the chair or nailed in their chair by a hot searing razor-edged invisible rod that has shot through the back of the chair and hip, proceeding out the front of the knee resulting in a burst of pain resembling being boiled in oil brought on by any rising up or sitting down, lying flat or attempting any of the above. Thus, a blog left apparently unattended for a few days.
Ah, but not today. You see, the angle of the writer’s body while writing on the keyboard while seated in this chair lends to a precarious likeness of a contortionist  stuffing himself or herself into a steamer trunk. Seeing as I have never been able to place both feet more than a few inches above the floor let alone put them behind my head or owned a steamer trunk, you would think that this proposed example of pain was not possible. However, I can assure you that sciatica can and will contort you into extremely odd positions or transform every nerve in your body into a liquid substance and pour you out of a boot! In other words, sciatica is the devil’s work.
With that said, I have only shifted about ten times in my chair in order to keep my fingers from seizing up on the keyboard or running screaming out into the light dusting of snow on the knoll across the way. I am definitely a true dedicated participant of the art.

So, how was your Christmas and New Year?  Another new year to dream our dreams and do those things that we put off until about this time of year. I guess that is why I took the plunge and started my blog before it fell under the heading of, “New Year’s resolutions”. With the attack of sciatica, I would have already failed.

I am finding the older, I get, (which I will be another year older in two days), that putting things off means running out of time to do it at all. So if there is something you need to do, let me encourage you to do it, now. I also started the needing to lose weight thing six months ago as well. Only this time something different happened. I just gave up trying to lose weight. With the creation of the Biggest Looser, we have seen tremendous and powerful examples of success with this problem. But, and  like most of you, there is no trainer, no high-tech equipment, dietitian at my disposal or free sumptuously planned meals magically appearing at my door three times a day. No, there’s just me, my passionate love of bread, old arthritic bones and of course, the latest, my nemesis – sciatica tag teaming me for failure.
The good part of what changed in me has given me a thirty-pound weight loss!! YES, IT IS COMING OFF AND I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW. Sorry, I guess I was carried away. One thing I can tell you is things do not taste like they did when I was younger. Whether it is ageing overused chemical-compounded taste buds or canned low sodium everything, I am not sure what has made the difference.

I adopted Sue’s eat-a-bite method. One or two bites and I am done with it. It cuts the calories like you wouldn’t believe. The calories of a completely “big” piece of pie compared to two bites of pie. And if I can narrow pie down to ‘bites’ you know something happened.
Also, I am toying with the idea of starting an ongoing page with a story that I am writing right now. You would be reading it as I am writing it. I guess I’d like to see if there are some interested readers. Even if I do not gather too many I will figure it is due to limited marketing.

Being new with blogging and all its gadgets, I am still figuring out stuff. There might even be a way to poll interested readers. So you see I have my work cut out for me. Now if someone will help pray the sciatica away, I will be forever grateful and return the ‘prayer’ time.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Wow - after reading this, I certainly hope I never get sciatica. Ugh!! I am so impressed about your 30 lb. weight loss. That is awesome!!! Now, to see if I can stop on desserts after just a bite or two ...
Happy birthday!