Monday, July 23, 2012

Fancy Chicks

Fancy Chicks

When I was a little girl I spent a summer on my grandparent’s farm. I have some very vivid memories of collecting eggs with me Grandfather. I can still remember the warm soft underbelly of the Road Island Red hen as I reached under it to collect an egg after being assured that the friendly hen wouldn’t peck me. I can even remember how excited I was.  I never forgot that simple childhood experience.

During my adult lifetime I have had my own chick-a-Dees. I love the gentle clucking, strutting, and rustling of feathers. Even more I always loved the way they became attached. I am sure it had something to do with seeing the bowl of fresh vegetable clippings or cups of grain I came with. I want to believe it was that they loved me as much as I loved them.  I did have a couple that would actually follow me around the yard whenever I let them out of the chicken yard. It was a free-for-all on the days when they were let out after mowing the lawn to scavenge for bugs that were stirred up. When one keen girl found a bug all the rest ran like a blue-light sale at Kmart! They’d shove one another and peck madly sending a cloud of grass shavings everywhere.

Today my personal collection of hens and roosters sits across the room from me on a book case with a couple tucked in around my house plants. Still a pleasure. So when I found this chicken craft on Penterest my creative mind ran wild! I instantly thought about several ways to “Fancy” up these chicks.

I did my own scavenging around in my craft supplies from past projects and soon I was deep in cardboard, feathers, and beads, wielding my hot glue gun.

 So here is the first sample chick I found.




I made a plain-Jane chick and after a brief conversation with Henrietta (what else would I call her?)




We decided on a tasteful outfit. She is now a fluffy girl decked out with black shoes, earrings and a classy scarf!












I am sure there are many more of her feathery sisters who will soon join the lineup because right now they are marching through my mind.




No comments: