Monday, February 27, 2012

It is Monday again . . .


It is Monday again . . .

Will someone please tell me how it got to be Monday again already? To say that time is flying by is an understatement. The older I get time is fleeting. Some weeks I even lose a day. This morning I finished a picture for one of the ladies in my writing class. This class is turning out to be very profitable for me in many ways. It has stirred up my creative juices in various ways.

Last week one of the ladies had a birthday and to celebrate it, she, yes, she brought in her own birthday treats to share with the whole class. Two pans of homemade wonderful ‘stuffs’. You know the kind. Thick gooey fudge-laden goodness and luscious layered chocolate and peanut butter, something or another.

And salty fingerings. A variety of little salty rounds, sesame things, and flat disk shaped munchies and pink yogurt covered raisins. She found them at a specialty store in the area. A Bushel and a Peck I think was the name. All I know is they were good and very unusual.

The paper plates and napkins she brought were just as unusual as well. They were almost too pretty and bright to eat off. (But I forced myself.) They were a cluster of brightly colored flip flops. I kept one of the napkins and brought it home. As I enjoyed it sitting under my coffee cup for a few days, the more I looked at it the more I felt inclined to recreate it in a colored pencil drawing for her. After all it was her birthday and she made all the refreshments.

So, I scrounged around in my closet and, whala!  Colored pencils and white card stock paper. This is something that happens for me a lot. Every time I want to do something on the spare of the moment I seem to have what I need. How that happens I am not sure. But it makes life fun. I even found some sparkly palm trees that I glued to the frame.

I think it turned out quite nice. I framed it as well and will place it where she sits on Tuesday. I don't know if her choice in napkins was unintended or she has a thing for flip flops.

I am finding my ‘just cause’ side of myself again. I like what I call ‘just cause’. We give often on what seems to be expected holidays. Christmas, Birthdays, Anniversary, etc. but I have always liked to give something to someone on an ordinary day. And always unexpected. It is more fun for me to think about their reaction to getting something they had no idea was coming, than them actually receiving it.

Life needs more unexpected good stuff. Wouldn’t you agree? I’ve had the other kind and it is not nearly as much fun. I realize that finding these extra projects to do is my unexpected joys. It fills my many hours and I guess, just makes life a little nicer.

I wonder what will be next?

I am even loving taking the picture afterward and posting it. Here is the drawing and the napkin that inspired it.  Happy Monday !

1 comment:

Lance Davis said...

I imagine your classmates are very happy to have a fellow student like you. You always make things fun... "er".