Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Today life is just a bowl of Potpourri…


Today life is just a bowl of Potpourri…

Several things are going on in my world right now, some good, some not so good. One thing I have learned is that whatever it is, somehow it all works together for my good. .

Potpourri fragrance of the day # 1

The writing class ended yesterday and everyone was gracious in being sure to ask me if I was coming back, seeing that I was one of the ‘new kids’ on the block. But the best thing was being handed the finished product of the class. A soft cover book is constructed by compiling a contribution from each attendee.

It is our choice as to which of the prompts we submit. I could not help but use, Mom’s, Gone with the Wind. Opening this small collection of each individual’s personal memories and finding my tribute to Carol Follett October 25, 1923- July 29, 2003 seemed fitting to her life and times.

I can just hear her now, “Ooh, let me see. Let me see.” She would think she had just made the President’s Christmas card list. It gives me a satisfaction and joy that I cannot really express to know that she is being honored in the reading of a small, yet wonderful part of her life.

Potpourri fragrance of the day # 2

This past weekend was a hard one. Physically, my osteoarthritis afflicted left knee flared up and I guess in sympathy, my right shoulder joined in the campaign. It was like having a toothache simultaneously in both spots. A lot of rubbing, moaning, hot showers, pain pills and heating pad episodes. Luckily, Monday afforded me an already scheduled doctor appointment. Upon seeing the fix I was in, she sent me instantly to an Orthopedic doctor right down the road from her office. Four x-rays, an examination and two cortisone shots later I limped my way back to my chair, a cup of coffee and a deep-sleep napping session that lasted on and off all day. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Potpourri fragrance of the day # 3

The bird –yes, or should I say ‘a’ bird and me are going to come to blows if it doesn’t find a new tree to do its two-hour chirping session in each morning starting at 3 am. My physical condition is the only thing that has saved me from scaling the porch railing, climbing into the tree, finding, strangling and plucking every feather off its scrawny little bird body. Unbelievable as it seems to me, this same bird is back again this year. Like clock work at exactly 3:05 am it starts. Now mind you, it isn’t a sweet little ‘chirpy chirp’, it is a four part chir-ER-ER-ptt-ptt-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thing that it does. Over and over and over and over and over and over and . . . . for two solid hours right out my bedroom window. Unbelievable! So, being creative, I bought an Owl. I now have an Owl statue glued and tied to my porch railing. I could hardly wait for 3:05 am to come the next morning. Sure enough, The bird makes its presence known and starts chirping. 1 chirp, 2 chirps, 3 chirps, 4 chirps, 5 chirps, . . .  257 plus chirps later, three curtain shaking rampages, four trips out on the porch, five taped Owl hoots played (yes I recorded an owl hoot) I finally came to this decision, there is at least one bird in Ohio who isn’t afraid of an owl and I now have that owl firmly glued to the rail on my porch which seems to be encouraging a nightly visit from its new best friend. All I can say is thank God the owl just sits there – quiet.

Potpourri fragrance of the day # 4

On the writing front, I am highly motivated now after taking my teapots to the writing class and receiving such overwhelming encouragement to start a story about them have started, Miss Dots and the Timely Teapots.  And as I mentioned in a recent post about doing something different from the same-ole-same-ole, I am going to set up a storyboard/outline to see where these whimsical characters are going to take me.

So all in all, my basket of potpourri today has a mixture that I think all of life needs –balance. Not to mention, coffee, toast with jam, the bird off doing whatever it is birds do, something creative to exercise my mind, and almost being pain free. Plus my new pet glued to the porch, I think I’ll call him –He who doesn’t give a Hoot.




       "You wanna be friends, little bird?"


No comments: